Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Rogaining

Last post 19-01-2007, 3:09 PM by Richard. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  19-01-2007, 3:09 PM 248

Rogaining

A few club members are pretty keen on the gentlemanlypersonly pursuit of rogaining.  Basically you run/walk around for 3,6,12 or 24 hrs collecting points then have a BBQ and go home.  Much fun.  Anyway, ex vuwtc-er (same way David Lange and Rob Muldoon are ex Prime Ministers) Mike Sheridan has put together a local rogaine calendar.  I've copied his email below.  The hutbagging event he refers to is also a good event, talk to Hazel B about this one, it should be won by a VUWTC member.

Contrary to popular belief I have not been napping (nor sun bathing) – But we have managed to conjure up a regaining programming for the summer and autumn months in and around Wellington. Details on the events follow – basically every second week through until a big event in May.

As usual details on all events will be on the rogaine website including instructions on how to get to the start.

http://www.mapsport.co.nz/rog/rogaine.html

Save this in your favourites.

Again, the afterwork events will be low cost and low key, the emphasise on getting out there and learning new skills and introducing new people to the sport. $5 entry per person per event – free to school students. The training evenings will follow the format we have successfully used over the years of a couple of classroom sessions and then some field practise.

To ease the organisers workload and minimise costs – two weeks prior to each event I will send an email out to this group asking for pre- entries (by return email).

The after work series leads to a weekend event in the East Harbour Park. This will be a major event with electronic controls. Details to come.

Tues Feb 13th Jenny Cossey Eastern Suburbs

Wed Feb 28th Jo McKenzie & Andrew McLelland Wilton

Wed March 14th Paul Abbot & Jim Jones Southern Walkway

Wed March 28th Ian Bowie & Rachael Belmont

Wed April 18th Mark Hearfield Haywoods

Wed May 2nd ? ?

Sat/Sun May 20th Urban Safari (can use public transport) 

Note that we are still looking for a volunteer for the 2nd May event. Email me if you are keen.

I also see that the hutbagging competition is gaining some momentum. (I’m waiting for a patch of fine weather before I head out there.) Details on this event at

www.outdoor.co.nz

See you out there at Carkeek hut.

Mike

Richie
View as RSS news feed in XML